Saturday, February 23, 2008

Austin's Burn


What a month February has been! One we will be glad that is past us soon! We started the month with a bit of sickness in our home and it has seemed to linger in one way or another. I hope we will be done with it soon.
I suppose the best day was the 1st. Robert and I got to go see the Peking Acrobats at Kingsbury Hall in SLC. Wow! That was neat! I was amazed by their performance, they are truly a work of art! I hope that we will get to see them again someday with our kids!
Robert and I have both been busy studying for tests and midterms in basically all of our classes. He is taking 11 credits at the college and I am taking 17. Crazy, I know...but really it hasn't been too bad. I have missed a few classes due to being sick though.
The drama over the last few weeks has come with our children. First there was Austin's burn. It happened on the 5th. Austin ran into the living room and tripped and fell against the glass cover on our fireplace. The fire had been on so the glass was extremely hot. We have lived here for almost two years and we have never had an accident with the fireplace. Unless you want to count the laundry basket which met it's doom against the hot glass. But as far as our kids went, nadda. I was pretty upset about the burn, it was nasty. I soaked him in whole milk to take away the heat and put a pain relief antiseptic cream on the burns. The next day when I took the bandages off, his arm was bleeding and it freaked me out. I took him to see his pediatrician and the doctor was actually quite pleased at how it was healing. When the nurse came in to re-bandage his arm, Austin was pretty upset. He did not want anyone to touch his arm. I had to hold him still and the nurse was holding his sore arm trying to put more medicine on it. Austin was pretty much hysterical by then, he was screaming "NO!" And then he bent down and bit the nurse. She was OK, just shocked! We got his arm bandaged and it has been healing well ever since! I think the arm will scar a little, but the face and shoulder should leave no scar.

No comments: